Reflection

Prompt 1:

There were a couple times while reading a new reading that it felt like I was reading something that I have read before. One of those times was with readings “The Neighborhood Is the Unit of Change” by David Brooks and “The Uses of Sidewalks” by Jane Jacobs. Both of these readings felt strongly about how a important a strong community is. They do this specifically Jacobs while making me, the reader, feel that a strong community is lacking in the modern age, while Brooks presents ideas to fix this conundrum. I felt like these two readings connected very well and illustrated their point very well.

Prompt 2:

The way I like to think about sentences is like sections of a water slide. They are building blocks that connect together for someone to ride, swooping around to the end. My writing that I think illustrates this best would be from my free write that later developed into one of my essays. It was the one about the subway system and how to fix it. I started with a sentence giving examples of the issues about the system as a whole, Next I wrote about what was required to fix the outdated system. Lastly, I presented my idea to make the system safer and more efficient. I felt like these sentences connected to each other very well and created an all around cohesive explanation of the issue at hand.

Prompt 3:

This semester’s readings and writings have served well to connect me with the outside world. Most of the readings and writings we did centered around the idea of space and how people interact with it. I think all of the readings we did to talk about inclusive space has contributed to me obtaining a much greater understanding of how those that are disabled are able to live their day to day lives. Additionally, all of the readings have have done about community development and interpersonal relationships within a community have shown me how important a strong community is. I think a greater understanding in these subject areas have played into shaping my writing and my ideas.